DAY 3: TEAM SASK at the 2019 Western Canada Summer Games
SWIFT CURRENT, SK (August 11, 2019): Team Sask ended the third day of 2019 Western Canada Summer Games competition in second place overall, adding 25 medals to the count following strong showings by Swimming, Canoe Kayak, and Cycling. Men's and Women's Basketball, Soccer, Softball and Beach Volleyball continued in their tournament play, with semifinals and finals taking place on Monday and Tuesday.
TEAM SASK MEDAL COUNT:
GOLD: 12 | SILVER: 9 | BRONZE: 14 | TOTAL: 35
FULL MEDAL STANDINGS: https://bit.ly/2YW3Nkk
QUOTES OF THE DAY:
- "Growth. It's all about growth - everyday, we aim to be a little bit better than yesterday.”Coach YIANNIS TSALATSIDIS (Saskatoon, Women's Soccer)
- "I feel like when we play hard and work as a team, that's when we're most successful."MADDY SEIDA (Regina, Women's Basketball)
- "The Games experience has been a new level of competition that we've never seen before in Beach. Each game has brought its challenges and learning opportunities which is helping us improve every time we play." JULIA HOWELL BOURNER (Saskatoon, Beach Volleyball)
TEAM SASK SPOTLIGHT:
- EZEKIEL TOPPING (Martensville, Canoe Kayak) came to the Games as a kayak specialist who had never before canoed in a competitive setting. Due to a last-minute scratch by one of his teammates, he was asked to step into a number of canoe events -- and did so in winning fashion, earning two gold medals on Sunday in the Men's C-4 1000m and C-2 500m.
- Saskatchewan and Alberta swimming athletes demonstrated great sportsmanship on Sunday in the 4 x 200m Mixed Relay final. Alberta's two teams finished first and second in the race, but as per regulations, only one team per contingent is eligible to earn a medal in one race. As a result, the SK 1 team (made up of JAYDEN BILOUS, MADISON HIGGS, SLOANE KERR, AUSTIN LIN) was upgraded to a bronze medal -- which the athletes decided to give to Team Alberta in a gesture of fair play. Team Alberta head coach ALEXX DIEP reports that his athletes humbly declined, but appreciated the gesture.
DAY 3 HIGHLIGHTS:
- CYCLING: Saskatchewan cyclists earned silver medals in the Men's and Women's Individual Road Race Finals, with CALEB BENDER (Glenavon) and MICAIAH BESLER (Saskatoon).
- CANOE KAYAK: Team Sask had a strong medal showing at Lac Pelletier today. JAYDEN HINGLEY (Saskatoon) earned three gold medals for C-1 500m, C-2 500m, and C-4 1000m along with teammates EZEKIEL TOPPING (Martensville), FINN GRAHAME-KING(Regina) and CHRISTIAN PATTERSON (Regina). Christian also earned silver in C-1 500m. Finishing off Canoe medals was MATTEA PATTERSON (Regina), winning two bronze medals in C-1 500m and C-4 1000m along with teammates ZOE NEISER (Regina), MEGAN BLACK(Regina) and ZOE MORTIN (Regina). In Kayak, KYLE JACKSON (Regina) earned two bronze medals: solo in the Men's K-1 500m, and with his teammate LOGAN TAYLOR (Saskatoon) in the Men's K-2 500m. Kyle also took home gold in K-4 1000m with NICHOLAS LAHAYE (Regina),LOGAN TAYLOR (Saskatoon) and EZEKIEL TOPPING (Martensville). In the Women's K-4 1000m, RAYA CUTHILL (Yorkton), MAKENNA MACAULEY (Saskatoon), MCKENZIE MILLAR(Regina) and AYSHA SPARROWHAWK (Regina) earned bronze.
- SWIMMING: Saskatchewan swimmers added 13 medals to the board today. CADENCE JOHNS(Moose Jaw) earned three more gold medals, in 100m Fly, 100m Back and 400m IM. JAYDEN BILOUS (Saskatoon) took home bronze in the 200m Freestyle. MELISSA ADELMAN (Regina) won gold in 50m Back and bronze in 100m Back. SAM FISHER (Humboldt) took home two golds in Special Olympics 100m Back and 50m Back. SAMUEL WAGNER (Regina) finished second in 200m Fly and NATHAN VONG (Saskatoon) third in 100m breast. Team Sask also won silver in the Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay (JAYDEN BILOUS, MATTHEW BROUGH, AUSTIN LIN, ISAAK WEIBE), silver in 4 x 100m Mixed Free Relay (JAYDEN BILOUS, MADISON HIGGS, HANNAH HEGGSTROM, AUSTIN LIN) and bronze in the 4 x 100m Mixed Freestyle Relay. Evening session final results are still to come in.
- MEN'S BASKETBALL: Saskatchewan men stand 2-1, with results from their Sunday evening matchup against Manitoba pending at press time.
- WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Saskatchewan women remain undefeated after earning a win against Manitoba (65-47).
- MEN'S SOFTBALL: Both Men's Softball teams faced off against each other, with U16 taking U19 14-1. The U16s also faced off against Alberta, falling 7-10.
- WOMEN'S SOFTBALL: Saskatchewan sits at 1-1 after falling to Manitoba 2-3.
- MEN'S BEACH VOLLEYBALL: SK Green is 1-1 and SK White is 0-2 after today's repool play that saw them face off against each other as well as MB Gold.
- WOMEN'S BEACH VOLLEYBALL: SK Green is 1-1 and SK White is 0-2 after today's repool play that saw them face off against each other as well as AB Blue.
- MEN'S SOCCER: Saskatchewan fell to Alberta 5-0 today.
- WOMEN'S SOCCER: Alberta took Saskatchewan 2-0 today. SK next faces off against NT.
Photos: https://bit.ly/2YLQ98t (email for athlete ID)
Photo Credit: Matty O'Connell, Makewell Creative Co.
Visit: TeamSask.ca / 2019wcsg.ca
Follow: @goteamsask on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Karen Lawson, Communications Lead
Team Sask / Saskatchewan Games Council
C: (306) 529-3120